Saturday 13 November 2010

Captain Ska's 'Liar Liar'

It would be great to think it could become the Christmas Number One. There's a campaign to get it there, though there's still a long time to go and it lacks the usual warm and fuzzy feel-good factor. There's nothing I can say about the message of the song that the video doesn't say better:


It's great to hear ska music asserting once again its rightful role as an authentic musical voice of political activism. It's reminiscent of the days of Free Nelson Mandela, Ghost Town, etc.

Almost more than my horror at the coalition's destruction of the welfare state, I was appalled to learn of the Liberal Democrat leadership's cynical betrayal of young voters, revealed in the Guardian today:
'Lib Debs planned before election to abandon tuition fees pledge'.
Commenting on the article, redskyinthewest summed up my feelings for Clegg exactly:
Shame on him! I am a student and my politically apathetic student friends turned to me and said 'you know what, i'm going to vote for this guy', first timer voters really believed in him, I saw so many new youngsters becoming interested and even involved in politics because of the hope this man gave, and he's just gone and sh**ted all over them. Shame on him!
Clegg has done more than any previous politician to single-handedly destroy the public's faith and trust in the value of casting their votes. And this at a time when unprecedented public apathy and cynicism towards politics is rightly condemned. Thank God my vote didn't help put him in power, or I'd be really mad!

No comments:

Post a Comment