Friday 20 May 2011

Agitprop: Political Demonstration as Music Festival

Perhaps I was too busy elsewhere for it to register, but I wasn't really aware of last weekend's demonstrations in Spain. Thanks to a tweet by Newsnight's Paul Mason today, I found this impressively stylish video of the event via the Egyptian blog 3Arabawy and YouTube:


 
As a piece of agitprop it pushes all the buttons needed to get your pulse racing and the adrenaline flowing although it doesn't really offer any concrete ideas as to how the change it promotes could be achieved. To be fair, I suppose the demonstration was a protest rally rather than a demand for revolution, though the video clearly referenced scenes from the Arab Spring, particularly the massed gatherings in Tahrir Square. In spite of its strident tone, the video seems to be a well-meaning attempt to promote political activism generally.

Though I'm skeptical about the practical impact of the video's central message, I'm nonetheless mightily impressed by its synthesis of image, text, music, rhetoric and ambient sound. It creates an emotional roller coaster that lasts as long as the music plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment