Monday 7 July 2008

An Afternoon in Arcadia


Maze Entrance
Originally uploaded by Joneau

The beautiful weather of late June is too good to be wasted. Loaded up the campervan, DaisyMay, with Mum and Florence and some food and trundled off to Derbyshire. There was one sole purpose – to revisit Chatsworth House, to explore the gardens and to photograph the architecture and the statuary. (I have posted a few of the photographs to Flickr.) I want to have enough images to finish a long-neglected essay on the influence of classical forms on English architecture.

I particularly wanted to take a colour version of one of my favourite monochrome images from the old days. The new version is on the Flickr Photostream as SouthEast Corner of House. Somehow, the composition isn't quite the same – so I'll have to find the original.

To mine own country from the Aonian height;
I, Mantua, first will bring thee back the palms
Of Idumaea, and raise a marble shrine
On thy green plain fast by the water-side,
Where Mincius winds more vast in lazy coils,
And rims his margent with the tender reed.

Virgil: GeorgicsIII

No comments:

Post a Comment